Our very own bearded legend, Tim.
Meet our Projects and Installation Manager, Tim Prior. Being a former fleet manager, he gets a bit excited about telematics. So we asked him to share his key learnings from his time in the field, as well as what he sees ahead for the future.
What attracted you to the telematics industry, Tim?
Before GPSi, I was a fleet manager for a company called Smoke Alarm Solutions, managing a large fleet servicing 2,000 properties a day. During this time I implemented the GPSi system to my fleet and was blown away by what it was capable of in terms of the granularity of data available, as well as the safety improvements and the efficiencies we were able to make (we had a 29% reduction in road accidents in the first twelve months).
The attraction to me was how far this technology could possibly go.
What do you do at GPSi?
The major part of my role is providing customers with a seamless end-to-end experience. Once a sale is confirmed I manage it from that point; liaising with the customer and their teams, organising devices, managing installs, providing training and support.
What have been your top three key learnings about driver safety, fleet performance and telematics in your time at GPSi?
1) After having this system installed at Smoke Alarm Solutions and having the opportunity to see how I personally drive – it made me much more aware of what was more important; getting somewhere fast or getting there safely.
2) Information is key to making informed decisions.
3) Every customer has a different idea as to the types of information that is important to them. For some it’s more efficiency focussed, for others it’s around compliance, and others again it’s safety. I work with them to individualise their reporting to reflect their priorities.
Having been on both sides of the fence as a fleet manager and now in telematics directly, what do you believe is the most important thing to consider when selecting a telematics provider?
The quality of the information you receive from the telematics device, as well as the quality of the customer service and support you have with that provider.
What excites you about where the telematics industry is heading in Australia?
Everyone is becoming more aware of the need for telematics, both for business and personal use, as technology becomes increasingly accessible and individualised. Because we develop the technology and devices here in Australia (and hold the IP) we are able to easily adapt and refine our devices to respond to our customers’ needs, as well as to market demand more broadly.
What do you like most about your role?
Working with such good people; both our customers and the team at GPSi. Plus, the innovation and technology is so interesting and ever-changing.
Finally, tell us a little about you:
- I am no good with an axe (having recently ended up in hospital trying to ‘help’ a mate).
- I like to have fun with what I do
- I can grow a mean beard! (He most certainly can!).
If you would like to know how to maximise your use of a GPSi product or enhance your reporting, Tim can help and be reached on 07 3620 1045 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also be interested in:
Are your logbooks FBT ready?
We’re here to help!